Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Luby's Cafeteria - Gus Thomasson Mesquite

Everyone should occasionally eat a healthy meal. I try to at least once a month whether I need to or not. So I normally pull into Luby's and do the vegetable plate. So the wifey and me decided to sacrifice tonight and eat healthy. So off we went.

I had a garden salad, mash potatoes and fried okra with a roll.

The garden salad had several of the bottom ends of a head of lettuce. Just what I always wanted was the extra hard to chew part of lettuce, with no taste. Otherwise the salad was decent, but I have never had a salad with this part of the lettuce included before, and I have been in some cheap places in my time. I rate the salad a 4.

On to the mash potatoes. Now it has to be pretty hard to mess up a bowl of mash potatoes. They looked runny and I started to pass on them, but I decided I came to eat the mashed taters, so I am getting them. Big mistake. I have never had such large lumps of uncooked, solid potato which was almost inedible. The mashed taters get a 3. Things are not looking good here.

Finally I turn to the okra. Now okra is good redneck food, but not this stuff. The okra was usual size, but the veins that run down the side were like sticks. You have to pick okra at the right time or they are way too tough to eat. If you are chopping the okra to cook and you have to use a chain saw to cut them, you might want to throw the okra away and get another one. I only could stand to eat 1/2 of the bowl, but I examined the rest of the bowl and found that they were just as tough. The Okra gets a 1.

The roll with butter was decent, but after everything else here, a decent 7 roll only gets a 4.5.

Since the purpose was to eat healthy, we split a piece of chocolate pie. The pie looked pretty good. Looks were deceiving. It was ok, it just barely had any taste. Give the pie a 5.

Overall, Luby's gets a 3.5 tonight.

This rating won't get any better soon, because Mitcho won't be going back anytime soon.

NOTE: Mitcho is actually a big fan of the Furr's Garden restaurant on 635 in Garland (at Centerville). This is all you can eat (always a plus for a good redneck) and the food always is tasty. There is a large variety of choices which is always pleasing. Oh, wait I am reviewing Luby's,

till next time - Mitcho
©2014


No comments:

Post a Comment