Friday, May 9, 2014

El Fenix Downtown Dallas

Corner of Woodall Rodgers and Alamo (McKinney)

Chipper and me had some bidness to tend to in Downtown Dallas this evening. So after we finished our bidness we slid over to El Fenix Downtown. I think this is the original El Fenix. I have been eating in this location since the late 60's. Seeing how that's 45 years ago, I don't guess I can say I am 39 anymore huh.

First of all we plowed through 3 bowls of chips in a very short period of time. Their chips have a different texture to them from any other Mexican restaurant. They also have a good distinctive flavor. Giving the chips a 7.518.

As you know I want good salsa also. The El Fenix salsa is a true salsa, it looks like salsa and tastes like salsa. Giving it a 7.513.

Tonight I ordered the Taxco plate. One meat taco, guacamole tostada, one cheese taco and one cheese enchilada.

The meat taco is an oversized taco, with spicey meat, lettuce, and cheese. Plenty of meat in this taco!! Good flavor gets a 7.0.

The guacamole tostada is basically guacamole spread on a tostada. As served it is a 5. However, I put everything that fell out of my taco on it and that made it a 6.5.

The cheese taco is decent tasting cheese taco. You can get this taste even in bad Tex-Mex restaurants. It gets a 5.5.

The cheese enchilada had a chili sauce over it. Now I am not going to say that there was a lot of chili sauce, but I was 1/2 of the way through the enchilada before I was sure it was a cheese enchilada. The chili was spicy which gave the enchilada a good flavor. It's a 7 here.

The inside of this restaurant is very interesting. It looks like you are in a market in central Mexico, including murals everywhere. The ambiance gets a 7 here.

Service is always there when you need something. It's a 7.

I have fond memories of many meals here. The food and service are always good.

Get out your calendar and schedule a trip downtown you won't regret it.

Mitcho
©2014

No comments:

Post a Comment