Sunday, July 6, 2014

Senor Donkey - Padre Blvd South Padre Island, TX

After a couple of tough months writing the blog daily, it became necessary to take a week off and vacation in style. So the whole redneck family took off for South Padre Island for some beach action. After a couple of nights of home cooking it was time for the family to eat a good meal. So we grabbed our boogy boards and road the waves to Senor Donkey. This is a mexican food place on the Island. I think there is only one other on the island. I had eaten here before so I new that it could handle a party of 10. Actually it has booths that will sit 10 to 12 people easily.

As with most mexican food places you start off with chips and salsa. I did have chipper with me, however, she was preoccupied with 3 year olds wanting to go to the bathroom. So she didn't get to make her usual dent in the chip basket. The chips here are a little thicker than most places and had some taste to them. So they were a good, giving the chips a 7.

The salsa was warm and tasted like tomato soup. This is not exactly what I want for salsa. There was little or no burn before, during or after. No detectable spice flavors either. So the salsa gets a 4.

I ordered cheese enchiladas and rice & beans. The cheese enchilada was really cheesy, but the cheese had a little different taste. It wasn't terrible, just not what I was expecting. Givin the enchiladas a 6.2.

The rice and beans were rice and beans, nothing special here.

The service was a little slow, but not terrible. The service gets a 5.

Overall, the meal gets a 5.55 (not really the kind of score you want for your birthday dinner).

If you are on the island and want mexican try La Hacienda and give me a report.

Mitcho
©2014

No comments:

Post a Comment