Friday, June 27, 2014

Mother's Daughters Diner - Forney

Mother's Daughters has a few locations across the Dallas Metromess. It has a reputation of down home cooking which will score with a Grove Rat Redneck. The Mother's Daughters in Forney has been open probably less than a month. I won't say it is popular, but tonight there were more people there than Walmart. So the Wifey and me decided I needed new fodder for the food blog, so we did the boogey to Forney. Surprisingly we got a table in less than 10 minutes and there were people everywhere. So they have some fast service. There was a very large number of workers serving, filling tea glasses, cleaning tables, etc. I watched the dish washer for a pretty good while and he was working at a frenzy the whole time and never slowed down.

My first concern is that my favorite down home food is meatloaf and they only have meatloaf on Wednesdays. So you can count on my next post from MDD will be on a Wednesday evening.

We decided to share an entre and veggies and get our own pie. That is a plan a redneck can appreciate.

We ordered chicken fried steak, pinto beans and mashed taters.

The meal came with rolls and corn bread. I didn't eat a roll because the corn bread was really good. It get's a 7.5.

The chicken friend steak was a little tough. Of course chicken friend steak isn't sirloin, it is a lower quality piece of beef, but I have had a better quality of beef at many places. Also, the CFS had only a very slim coat of crust. Now a redneck wants a lot of crust. That wasn't happening tonight. The CFS was decent but certainly not great. The CFS gets a 5.5.

The pinto beans had a very good flavor. Mitcho liked these beans. Givin the beans a 7.

The mashed taters was mashed taters. You can mess them up, but you can't hardly make them great. They get a 5.

At the end of the meal I ordered Coconut Pie. Now I am a big fan of the coconut pie. My M-I-L makes me a coconut pie either Thanksgiving or Christmas every year. I eat coconut pie till I am almost dead, then I get resuscitated and I eat another piece. My M-I-L could teach MDD a few things about Coconut Pie. The Coconut Meringue was heavenly. It was really sweet and loaded with coconut. The problem was the pie filling. The pie filling was the most bland vanilla pudding I have ever eaten. Not so good. The crust was very flaky and tasty. The Pie only gets a 5.56.

Overall MDD gets a 5.765.

Mitcho
©2014

No comments:

Post a Comment