Friday, December 19, 2014

Pecan Lodge - Main St Downtown

Me and the wifey had some bidness to tend to in downtown this evening so we decided we would eat dinner downtown someplace. The wifey decided she wanted to eat some American food, which I thought meant a Luby's, Boston Market, etc. She finally says she wants to try Pecan Lodge again. Now in my books, Pecan Lodge is Texas BBQ, which is not associated with American food. Of course it is totally American, but you get the drift. Pecan Lodge is rated #2 BBQ place in Texas by Texas Monthly. So you would think this is some pretty good Que. If you review my blog you will note that I reviewed this joint once before back in June, but obviously my review then was greatly effected by Texas Monthly's rating. I do have some BBQ credentials hanging over my belt. I have gouged myself to misery at Snow's BBQ in Lexington a perennial top 10 in Texas. I have supped with buds at Louie Muellar's in Taylor, a Top 10. I have slithered into Cooper's in Junction with some running buddies. Now these guys listed before hand got some serious Que.

So the wifey and me order a two meat plate of sliced BBQ and sausage. Mitcho is a big fan of the BBQ sausage. We had the choice of 1 side, so for blog purposes we chose the pinto beans.

The sliced BBQ was very fatty. I mean way tooooo fatty. This just didn't do much for me or the wifey. The sausage was very fatty inside and fell apart when cutting. It just didn't have a consistency that looked any good. I am sure they are proud of their BBQ sauce, it is some variation of vinegar and something to sweeten it a little. It was OK, but pass the Rudy's BBQ sauce please. (I wonder what they would say if the next time I go here, I smuggled a 1/2 gallion bottle of Rudy's finest with me???)

The pinto beans was just your bare bones basic beans. Now beans can make or break a place if they are fixed right. Here, it would break em, there just isn't much point (flavor/taste) in em.

When we was here back in the summer soon after Texas Monthly anointed them god of BBQ, the line for early Saturday lunch was about 1/2 block long. Tonight, we walked right up to the cashier and ordered. There was some people in the place, but not that many. I am thinking Mitcho might not be the only one around these parts that are not impressed.

So in North Texas, Mitcho's best BBQ place is Hutchins in McKinney!!!! Don't miss the peach cobbler here. Also, I would rate Rudy's, Springcreek, Dickey's, and just about any other BBQ place ahead of Pecan Lodge. Just not a fan here.

Givn em a 6.1 (The wifey said not a point over 5, but how can you rate the #2 BBQ place in Texas a 5???, but I sure can giv em a 6.)

Mitcho
©2014

No comments:

Post a Comment