Sunday, December 28, 2014

Vaughan's Catfish - Pittsburg, TX

Now Mitcho has a long history with Vaughan's catfish. Until a few years ago, this was my favorite catfish restaurant. There use to be 3 locations, Tyler, Linden and Pittsburgh. Both the Tyler and Linden locations have closed to various family reasons, not lack of business. The Pittsburgh location is chugging along. The Pittsburgh location is across the road to the entrance to Bob Sandlin State Park. Follow the road through a number of winding turns down to the restaurant. You will think you are wandering back into an old country neighborhood and is going to lead to no good. You are in East Texas! However, if you go long enough you will get to Vaughan's.

Vaughan's is all you can eat for catfish. You can order a specific meal when ordering shrimp, frog legs, etc.

These people are smart. When you walk in, they load the table with green tomato relish, pinto beans, coleslaw, and a basket of hush puppies. If you don't watch yourself, you will eat way too much of this cheap food (as I call it) and not eat much fish. So we have to practice some restraint here. Mitcho doesn't believe in using restraint when it comes to good food. So I am struggling here.

Mitcho is not all that fond of coleslaw, so I pass on it. The pinto beans here are some of the best. I have been known to order a refill of beans instead of fish in the past and I really like the fish. I usually mix the green tomatoes with the pinto beans and slap my mammy, that is some good eats. We have always liked the hushpuppies here and you get a whole basket of them.

The catfish is normal catfish not spicy. The catfish is battered up nicely, is fried perfectly and has a very good taste. This catfish has no oily taste to it at all. This is some good catfish. They also bring French fries, but you didn't come here to eat fries. So I pass on them. They are pretty good fries, but I am paying for catfish. Until I discovered Doe Belly's in Forney a few years ago, this was my number 1 catfish place. Now it is number 2.

Vaughan's is a little expensive. But if you drive 30 miles each way, like I did to eat catfish, a few dollars is not that important.

Mitcho is givn Vaughan's a roaring 7.5.

Mitcho
©2014

No comments:

Post a Comment