Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Peppers - Gus Thomasson Mesquite

Peppers is a very small restaurant down the way from Kroger on Gus Thomasson. I have been here a few times before, but I figured I needed a new place to blog about. You know me, I am a blog addict. Anyway, I suggested to the wifey that we go here last night for dinner, but the wifey is having Mexican food for lunch today, so Mexican was out for last night. So after significant negotiations, we ended up at Chipotle, which of course has no connection to Mexican food.

Last night I had done a search on Mesquite restaurants on Urbanspoon.com, Tripadvisor.com and Yelp.com for potential Mesquite restaurants that I had missed. The wifey and me travel quite a bit to new places in the US and I rely heavily on these sites to help me determine where to eat. I find them to be pretty close to right a high percentage of the time. Peppers had an 89% approval rating on all 3 sites, which is a really good rating. So I decided to do lunch at Peppers today. So I did the clog dance to Peppers.

As I said it is pretty small. Today (and most of the other times I have been here) Peppers has been full of Mexicans (Hispanics) eating their lunch. I suspect the food here is more authentic to what they eat at home. I figure it is a very good sign that Mexicans are eating in your Mexican food restaurant. Just look around at Posado's, El Fenix, etc. and you won't find many Mexicans. I understand why they are here. Talking spicy!!!!!

So I slithered in and grabbed me a table. The waitress brought me chips and salsa along with my tea. I ordered the taco plate which comes with a beef taco and two barbacoa soft tacos, with rice and beans.

The chips were a pretty normal Mexican food chip, nothing special, but what you are expecting. The salsa is another story. We are talking spicy and hot. Boy, this is some good salsa right here.

So I dived into the crunchy beef taco. The beef was flavored up nicely with a very good taste. The surprise here is normally you get lettuce and cheese. Here you get lettuce, cheese, onions, cilantro, and no telling what other vegetable items. This was a good taco.

Now it was time to tackle the soft barbacoa tacos. They also had the mix of lettuce, cheese, onions, cilantro, etc on top of them. The barbacoa was spiced nicely and was ground up pretty good. These were some good tacos.

The rice and beans tasted a little better than normal and when I added in the droppings from the tacos, they were really good.

Peppers is less expensive than most Mexican restaurants and wow was it good. Givn em a hearty 8.891.

Mitcho
©2014

No comments:

Post a Comment