Thursday, August 28, 2014

Buttermilk's - Canton


So the wifey and me slipped off down to Tyler State Park for some well deserved R & R. TSP happens to be one of our favorite state parks and probably is our Texas favorite. So when dinner time came we started discussing our options and we settled on Buttermilks in Canton. First of all, you guys of Facebook effect us in many ways. Our friends GB and KB post pictures of the food they order at Buttermilks and it makes me lust.  I had been wanting to try Buttermilks for a month or two. Several of my associates had heard about this place also. So the word is getting out. The other thing is, I thought that Canton was close to Tyler. Turns out it is about ½ way between Mesquiterville and Tyler. So we did the snake to Canton to try Buttermilks.

Buttermilks is located just off of the square on Hwy 64 in a very old building. They have fixed the place up very nicely. It is a pretty cute restaurant. It is small and by the time we left it was very crowded. I chuckled at the end a couple came in the front door and one of the waitresses yelled out “sit anywhere you want to”. However, there was only one table left.

Now our main mission here was dessert. The pies and cobblers I have seen looked very yummy. So we decided to split a meal and go after dessert like we were on a mission. We decided to order the large portion of chicken friend steak, with mashed taters and fried okra. The chicken fried steak was the full size of the plate. I kid not. It was huge. How can 1 person eat that much??? You couldn’t see the mashed taters, because they were underneath the cfs.

The chicken fried steak was breaded very nicely, very tasty and the meat was very tender. This is one of the best chicken fried steaks I have ever laid my chopps on. Wow that was good!!!!

The mashed taters had the peelings chopped up and included along with a number of spices. I very rarely get much excited about taters, but these here taters were very tasty. A definite plus here.

The okra came in a bowl the size I would use at home to eat ice cream in, which means it is the largest bowl in the house. The okra was breaded very nicely, fried to a nice crispness and tasted pretty good. My only issue here was most of the okra was very large. Mitcho likes smaller fried okra pods. Just saying!!

Now down to the real reason we are here. I ordered peach cobbler and the wifey ordered chocolate chess pie. The wifey says the chocolate pie was good, but not great. Of course she plowed through it so fast that I wasn’t able to get a taste of it. My peach cobbler came is the same size bowl the okra came in, HUGE!!!!! This is a real plus for Mitcho. The cobbler has a good amount of cobbler crust that was very sweet, a very good peach juice, and of course tasty peaches. This is a Mitcho gotta have it.

Overall, Mitcho gives Buttermilk an 8.9!!! If you happen to be in Canton around meal time, slither on into Buttermilks and get miserable. Of course it is a really good miserable you won’t regret too terribly much.

Mitcho

○2014

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment