Saturday, September 20, 2014

The Feed Sack, Windom, TX #100

Finally #100 review is here. I wanted it to be some kind of special place. If you haven't been to The Feed Sack, you haven't been to Windom. There is absolutely nothing else there. Why would you open a restaurant in a ghost town is beyond me. But about 9 years ago this family opened The Feed Sack, I will bet they pay a very low rent. They have remodeled it into a nice place. Wifey and me have been here a number of times. It is only open on Friday and Saturday nights. It is only a 90 mile drive there and 90 miles home. So it is convenient for dinner. A lot of time we will go in the wifey's convertible and put the top down on the way home. Not tonight.

So negotiating a special place, the wifey suggested the Feed Sack. Now I know you all know where Windom, TX is. But for the one or two that don't, Windom is on Hwy 56 east of Bonham and West of Honey Grove. I am sure that clears it up for you. The wifey has family all over Bonham. So I suggested that we go by and pick up AuntE and take her with us. So we called AuntE and she suggested we call the wife's mother also. So now I have a car full of hungry women on the road to Windom. AuntE is a generation older than I am, but she is still a lot of fun to be around. She is non-stop.

The Feed Sack is an all you can eat buffet. Now you know it isn't too bad or I would have called it an all you stand buffet (like Golden Corral). Their main offering is catfish. Now you know Mitcho knows catfish. It also has fried shrimp, tough steak, fried frog legs, mini corn dogs,  chicken fingers, a salad bar with a large selection options and baked potato bar. The first two years it was open, the spicy catfish was the best I had eaten. I couldn't go here enough. Then two things happened. I think they got so busy that they are cooking in much larger batches and it is very hard to get enough spice in the fish in large batches. Also, Doe Belly's opened. So The Feed Sack is now #2.

Tonight I went for the spicy catfish which some of it was a little tough to cut or chew. About 1/3 of it was spiced up nicely, but the rest of it had limited spices. I also had the hushpuppies which were good. I had a few fries and onion rings just for the blog. They were about average, not special. I also had a bowl of pinto beans, before I doctored them, they were pretty plain. But after I put green tomatoes and red onion, they were pretty good.

I followed up the meal with peach cobbler and chocolate cobbler. The peach cobbler had good tasting peaches. However, the cobbler crust was a little weird. The chocolate cobbler was a Mitcho, GET SOME MORE.

The bad thing about eating here is that you are very miserable for the entire 90 mile drive home.

Givn The Feed Sack a 7.73

Mitcho
©2014

No comments:

Post a Comment