Friday, May 1, 2015

Athenos - Mesquite

Writing the food blog has really expanded our horizon of eating. Once it was Mexican, pizza and hamburgers. Repeat. Over the last year we have eaten in and blogged about more than 100 different restaurants. However, I have never reviewed any greek food. The wifey had eaten lunch in Athenos a week or two ago and enjoyed whatever it was she had. She said that we needed to go back. So I was trying to think about something different for dinner tonight and Athenos came to mind. I suggested it to the wifey and she immediately liked that idea. So we did the Syrtos to Athenos.

Being a Grove Rat redneck, I can tell you for sure we didn't have any greek restaurants in the Grove. Based upon the clientele in the place tonight, rednecks don't hang out here. But Mitcho is expanding his horizons and waste line.

So how do you order when you have no idea what anything is on the menu. I will say the waitresses were very helpful and very patient. After studying for a few minutes and having no idea what to do, we decided to roll the dice and order a combination dinner that had a little of everything. So we ordered the Delphi Combination. All along my backup plan was a burger at Whataburger.

 
 

First of all my explanation is the best I understand it, so don't hold me too responsible here.


The Delphi came with Gyros meat. This is a thin sliced meat that is very lean and has a very
unique flavor. I can't describe it, but I will be eating this stuff again. Then there was Meat Dolmas.
This was similar to meat loaf and Mitcho is a big fan of meat loaf. It had a little different flavor and was covered in cheese. I could make a meal out of Meat Dolmas. So far so good.  the next item is Chicken souvlaki. This is chicken on a stick. This and the rice taste pretty much like American
food. Next was Moussake. Very interesting. This is meat and rice rolled up in in egg plant with a béchamel sauce. I was pretty concerned about this and even more when it came to the table and
looked like a jalapeno. But it had a very good flavor. The sauce gave it a twang that was unique
and tasty. The meal was served with a plate of pita bread. This was very good pita bread. Yummy.
 
 
So when you are adventuresome in life and wanting something different than pizza every night, grab you up some buds and head to Athenos. Note you will need some buds because there won't be any rednecks there.
 
Given em a 8.5.
 
Mitcho
©2015


 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment