Thursday, November 27, 2014

Luby's - Mesquite Thanksgiving Day

When your children have married, they get more Thanksgiving dinners to go to. This becomes a scheduling nightmare for many families. So in our family, we let the kids work out their plans with their other families (aka those other people), then we select a day and time that is left that works for everybody. So many times, our Thanksgiving meal is on Saturday after Thanksgiving. Who knows the Saturday after maybe the real day the pilgrims and Native Americans gathered to give thanks and a little scalping. So what does it really matter if you get all of your family together have a great meal and a great time with the family.

So this year our day is the Saturday after, so I am still in training for the big day. Of course I have already been notified that I am not getting my own personal coconut pie this year. I guess I must have been bad this year. Now compared to how bad I have been in the past and still got a coconut pie, how can that be. Oh well.

So on Thanksgiving the wifey, her mother, and me go to Luby's to celebrate Thanksgiving day. Not too much work involved and we still get miserable. So we get there about 10:45 to get closer in line. In years past, at 10:45 the line was out the door already. This year we went inside and was only 20 or so people from the food!!! They were already serving when we got there, but they were very slow. About 15 minutes into the wait they made some minor adjustments to their serving line and things started to move a little, very little. It took us 25-30 minutes to get to the serving line and we were only 20 or so people from the line when we got there. NOTE to Luby's get your act together.

Now Mitcho is not a big fan of cafeteria turkey and dressing, so I go for a vegetable plate. I am in training for the real deal two days from now. So I got a garden salad, which had lettuce, onion, and broccoli spears with Ranch dressing. They use to have bell pepper and a few other items to add to the salad, but not now. They also now only have 3 or 4 dressing choices. I don't think they even had Thousand Island. Get real. I also got a fruit salad and pinto beans. I added Jalapeno cornbread and cherry pie.

The garden salad was pretty good, but it needed more variety in it. The fruit salad was a pretty good fruit salad, plenty of peaches, apples and bananas. The pinto beans had a pretty good flavor and after covering them in pepper, they were all right. The jalapeno cornbread was spicy with an afterburn. You know Mitcho appreciates afterburn.

Finally we are to the cherry pie. I went for the cherry pie, because the last few times I have been here the chocolate pie had very little taste. How can that be. The cherry pie had plenty of cherries and the crust was a tasty crunchy crust. All in all was not a bad choice.

The wifey reports that the turkey and dressing was just ok. The dressing needed much more flavor and spices.

So all in all, givn Lubys a 7.318 which is much better than the 4 I gave them my last review.

Happy Thanksgiving and if you are a Pilgrim in a foreign country be careful which natives you celebrate with. It might be a scalping party.

Mitcho
©2014

No comments:

Post a Comment