Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Czech Stop Vs Slovacek - City of West, Texas




Czech stop on the left/Slocacek on the right.


A cold front blew through today and it cooled off to the mid 80's. So about 4:00 the wifey came in and asked if I wanted to put the top down on the convertible and polka down to West. Of course it took me less than 1 second to say let's polka. We have been going to the Czech Stop in West for about 25 years and it is a destination, not a stop on the way. About a year ago a new bakery was built across I-35 called Slovacek. I have a few friends that say I have to go to Slovacek's so since we are going that way this seemed like a good time to do a comparison of the two. I have never done this on the blog before, but it was a nice first.

So we hop into the convertible, put the top down and take off south. When we were about to get to West, it started raining. I told the wifey, don't slow down and it will be ok. You know if you run 80 mph in a hard rain, you won't get hardly wet. Of course you can't slow down for your exit.

We went to Slovacek's first. They obviously are trying to compete with BucEEs. Their store is only about two football fields short of a BucEEs. But it was a nice place. The bathroom here is much nicer than the one at the Czech Stop. But the bathroom is not the reason you stop here.

I had 90 miles to develop my plan for the comparison. So I decided the Hot Chubby with Cheese and a Fruit Kolache at each place. So I ordered a Hot sausage and cheese and Apricot Kolache at Slovacek. At Czech Stop it was a Hot Chubby with Cheese and an Apricot Kolache.

The bread is the main attraction to kolaches. The bread on the Hot Sausage and Cheese at Slovacek was mediocre at best. I can buy bread at Walmart that is just as good. The cheese was minimal and appeared to be similar to Kraft American, like you would put on a bologna sandwich. The spicy sausage was good, but not quite as spicy as the Hot Chubby.

Now for the big time. The bread on the Hot Chubby tasted like homemade bread, this is the reason you drive 90 miles for a meal. The cheese is a medium cheddar and plenty of it. The sausage is spicy!!!! Winner Winner Chubby Dinner.

Now for Apricot Kolaches. From Slovacek, the bread once again tasted very basic. The apricot was pretty good. However, the Czech Stop Apricot Kolache, the bread was a little sweet like a dessert item should be. The apricot filling was very tasty and just looked much better.

Overall, I would eat at Slovacek over the donut shop that I get my cinnamon roll in Mesquite. What the donut shop calls a kolache is a basic roll with store bought sausage link in it. Slovacek wins this contest with the donut shop, but across I-35 is The Czeck Stop. There just is no comparison. Czeck Stop wins this battle on all accounts.

When we drove up at Slovacek there were a couple of cars in the parking lot, but plenty of parking left. There were two other people ordering food when we were, no waiting. At Czech stop, we got the last parking place. We had to wait in a line to order our food. So the people have spoken, all accounts say Czech Stop rules.

By the way I looked at cinnamon rolls at Slovacek and they looked ok, but nothing special. The cinnamon rolls at Czech Stop look like they have 10 times more cinnamon and much more icing. I will tell you in the morning what they taste like.

Givn Czech Stop a 9.491
Slovacek gets a 8.002

Mitcho
©2015

Romans 3:23 – For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God
Romans 6:23 – For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
John 3:16 – For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him may have eternal life.
Jesus Christ is my Lord and Saviour

Please attend church with me next Sunday. Where ever you are, go to the link below:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwas2xFpEStMd06-59ggY7g









No comments:

Post a Comment