Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Atheneos - Mesquite

Dinner time rolled around and the wifey and me kicked around several options, then the wifey decided we were going to Atheneos. That's how we roll. Why does she even ask me where I want to go? Oh well.

Atheneos is a Greek food restaurant in Mesquite run by a family that is from Greece and still has family there. I have to admit that the first time I went here I was very doubtful that I would like anything in the house. But I sacrifice my slim and trim body for my readers pleasure. Surprisingly I like everything I have eaten in this place. As the owner says, Greek food is simple food using the same ingredients Americans are used to, just a different batch of spices. So rock on.

Tonight I ordered a Gyro pita. This is a good size and thick pita filled with Gyro (beef), onions, tomatoes (I don't eat tomatoes, so I had them left off), and a tzatziki sauce (a creamy sauce). I also ordered fries because the wifey wanted fries. They are less fattening if they are on my plate.
Man this Gyro meat is really good and the red onion and sauce really add a nice extra to the flavor. You need to get you some of this here grub. Forget that you have never eaten Greek food, or for that matter anything other than chicken fried steak and mashed tators, and grab you some Greek food, post haste (fast). The fries had a little spice on them so they were a little better than most fries.

I learned my first Greek word tonight. I have no idea what it means, but I know when to use it. I spilled my tea into my plate about half way through the meal tonight. You know I roll that way. The owner came by to check on me and offered to fix me a new batch of fries, but the wifey had already eaten all she wanted. But it was a nice jester. He also asked if I yelled "Opa". Of course I didn't, but next time I go, I plan on spilling my tea again so I can yell "Opa".

Given em a 8.379

Mitcho
©2015

No comments:

Post a Comment